February 2015 – November 2015
Our service technically began in November of 2014, but this time category excludes our Integration period, (Nov. 14 – Jan. 15), as those first three months at site, while part of our first year, were a whole different ballgame.
Our first year in site was full of wonder and learning, ups and downs, laughs and new friends. As with any move to a new place, it takes a while to settle in and feel like you’re at home. Here are just a few of our favorite highlights from this incredible year in our lives:
- Year One: By the Numbers – Exactly as it sounds with a Rent reference or two.
- Rio San Juan and Volcán Telica – Our two, slightly-more-difficult-than-we-were-expecting Semana Santa excursions.
- Meaningful Work, One STEP at a Time – Andrew’s look at self-doubt and moving forward.
- May We Relfect – A series of posts about our initial intentions and fears about joining the Peace Corps, and how they actually played out this first year. From the struggles/joys of co-teaching, to the realities of eating rice and beans every day, this series has it all.
- Two is Twice as Tuani – Why we think it’s just incredible to be serving in the Peace Corps with our partner.
- September Photo Challenge – The Peace Corps Nicaragua Photography Committee hosted a 30-day Photo Challenge and I think it’s safe to say we rocked it.
- #BaldisBeautiful: Why I’ve decided to Shave my Head – Emily’s quest to teach girls that true beauty resides within.
What an incredible adventure we are on! What to see more from our 1st Year? Click here.